A woman from Texas unknowingly took home two bobcat kittens she had mistaken for domestic cats, which led to the animals’ untimely death. Animal Care Services intervened and took the animals from the improper habitat, but it was too late. The two cubs passed away shortly after, at the sanctuary of the Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc.
The family thought the two bobcat kittens were domestic
Jane Dinscore, a woman from San Antonio, and her family received the two bobcat kittens from a relative. All of them thought the tiny creatures were domestic cats that belonged to the rare Bengal breed, so they took them home. However, the kittens started acting strange soon afterwards.
Dinscore tried feeding them milk from a bottle, but the two bobcat kittens destroyed it while also hurting the people around. This behavior convinced the family to do some research, so they started browsing the internet for more information. That’s how they found out the two cubs probably weren’t domestic, so they contacted Animal Care Services.
Unfortunately, the wildlife authorities intervened much too late. After being taken to the wildlife sanctuary, the two bobcat kittens contracted the feline parvovirus. As a result, they developed panleukopenia, a condition that caused severe vomiting, fever, and dehydration. In the end, the two of them passed away.
The two creatures contracted the feline parvovirus
The cubs were separated from their mother much too early. This way, they became more sensitive. Eating maternal milk would have boosted their immune system, so they would have been less susceptible to contract the virus. Also, the shock of being taken from their natural habitat must have contributed to this.
Dinscore has received a criminal citation for taking the two bobcat kittens away from their habitat, but the situation is still strange. The two cubs seem to have been found in a rural area, and the family might have genuinely mistaken them for domestic cats. However, the situation remains an unhappy one for the environment. The Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc. has posted a lengthy message on Facebook warning people of the dangers of taking wildlife out of its habitat.
Infant wild animals are fragile, vulnerable creatures and we cannot imagine the stress that taking them from their…
Image source: GoodFreePhotos