A freak accident in an Indian Hospital led to the arrest of several staff members and the decommissioning of an MRI machine. According to the authorities, a died after being sucked in by the machine. The man was attending a relative in the hospital.
Oxygen Tank Turns MRI Machine into Killing Tool
According to the Mumbai authorities, the events occurred on Saturday inside the Nair Hospital’s MRI chamber. An individual, later identified as Rajesh Maru was reportedly visiting one of his relatives in his hospital.
At the moment, it’s still unclear how the man was admitted into the MRI chamber, but the preliminary investigations revealed that Maru entered the room carrying a full oxygen tank. After talking to the hospital staff, the authorities learned that someone told Maru that he could safely enter the MRI room, as the machine was switched off and posed no danger.
Unfortunately, as the man entered the room with the cumbersome tank, the machine which was still running, sucked him into the imaging chamber. The staff member who witnessed the event managed to switch off the machine and to get Maru to the emergency room.
However, the man passed away after 10 minutes due to oxygen exposure. Following the unfortunate event which claimed the life of the 32-year-old Mumbai resident, several staff members were brought up on negligence charges.
The Mumbai law enforcement authorities also retrieved the security footage from inside the MRI room. At the moment, it’s still too early to tell what the man was doing inside with the oxygen tank since he was not a hospital employee nor was his relative inside the chamber.
For the time being, the hospital’s MRI machine was decommissioned, and patients redirected to other hospitals for medical investigations. The case is ongoing, and we’ll come back with further details.
Image source: Wikipedia