Tattoos might seem harmless, but they might contain toxic particles which lead to adverse reactions even decades after they have first been put on skin. Doctors have always been warning people to pay attention to it, as there are cases of illnesses caused by toxic ink. A woman from Australia got a cancer scare after developing some painful nodes in her armpit, which later turned out to have been caused by a tattoo.
The woman didn’t have cancer
The woman, aged 30, went to the hospital with some painful lymph nodes in her armpit. She was afraid this might be cancer, so she underwent surgery immediately. After removing the painful tissue, doctors discovered the growths were not cancerous. They discovered the nodes developed as an adverse reaction to a tattoo the woman had had 15 years ago.
Doctors were aware the ink used for tattoos travels through the body and reaches lymph nodes, as they filtrate the lymph and keep toxins away. However, they weren’t aware this could still happen so many years after someone gets tattooed, and the discovery surprised them. Therefore, doctors advise young people to be very careful when they choose a place where to get their tattoos.
The ink particles from tattoos act upon the lymph nodes in a nano way
Usually, they look for a safe place which uses only sterile needles. However, tattoo ink often contains titanium dioxide, which is toxic, and its particles travel through lymph to the lymph nodes. Unfortunately, people don’t think it’s necessary to check the chemical composition of the ink as well, but maybe they should start doing that.
Lymph nodes usually become tinted in the color of the tattoo, as this is the body’s way to clear the tattooed area. However, the ink particles travel at a nano level, not a micro level. This means their action is different that we were already aware, and might have more serious consequences.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons