Slime is probably one of the most awesome school projects anyone could do – it’s easy to pull off, and there are a lot of stuff you can add in order to make it cooler. However, do keep in mind that making slime is a bit dangerous since it involves the use of borax, a component usually used to fashion detergents and cosmetic products, which is toxic. Recently, an 11-year-old from Massachusetts ended up in a hospital after she and her friends attempted to make some slime during a sleep-over party.
According to Siobhan Quinn, the 11-year-old girl’s mother, her daughter, Kathleen, was attending a sleepover party organized by one of her friends. Before leaving the house, Kathleen told her mother that she and her friends would be trying to make to some slime for a school project.
The woman told the doctors and the reporters that she saw nothing wrong with the girl’s request since this wasn’t the first time the girl made a similar school project without parental supervision. According to the girl’s statements, the night spent at her friend’s house passed without any incidents.
Kathleen declared that this wasn’t the first time she attempted to complete a DIY slime project and that she knew perfectly well that borax, one of the components used to create this whimsical project, is highly toxic.
However, when she woke up, the 11-year-old girl from Massachusetts felt as her hands were on fire. She fled to her house in order to ask Siobhan for help. The girl’s mom declared that, but the time Kathleen reached the house, both of her hands were covered completely by small blisters.
Kathleen was immediately rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment. After a brief examination, the ER doctors concluded that Kathleen had suffered second- and third-degree burns to her hands as a result of prolonged borax exposure.
Luckily, the doctors were able to undo the damage caused by borax. As for the 11-year-old girl, the doctors said that she is currently recovering and will be discharged in a couple of days.
Seizing this opportunity, the health specialists what to remind the parents how dangerous school science projects can be, especially if they involve handling toxic substances. Furthermore, the specialists said that the best course of action is to supervise your child when working with hazardous materials.
Image source: Wikipedia