Around 5.5 million bottles of Liquid Plumr were recalled by the Clorox Company because the caps of the bottles were not child-resistant as they were required.
In other words, many children could have injured themselves if they had opened the bottles. There are three types of clog remover that were included in the recall such as Liquid Plumr Pro-Strength Urgent Clear, Liquid Plumr Industrial Strength Urgent Clear, and Liquid Plumr Pro-Strength Foaming Clog Fighter.
The reason why Liquid Plumr is dangerous for children is that it contains sodium hydroxide, a chemical that can cause burns and irritate the eyes and skin. These products are always packed in a child-resistant container, or they are equipped with a child-resistant cap to stick to the Poison Prevention Packaging Act.
At first, the Clorox Company received eight reports about child-resistant bottle caps not working. All recalled products were sold in nine-inch tall bottles of 17 ounces.
The experts from the Consumer Product Safety Commission stated that the company received 221 reports of Liquid Plumr bottles leaking, but no cases of injury have been reported so far. All recalled products were sold between January 2012 and May 2016 at a price ranging from $3 to $5.
The Liquid Plumr products were sold throughout the United States at many stores such as Walmart, Walgreens, Target, Lowe’s, Kroger, and Dollar General. Plus, some customers purchased the bottles from Quidsi.com, Drugstore.com, and Amazon.com as well.
The company stated that most of the bottles have probably been used until now, but any other bottles should be kept away from children. Consumers are advised to contact the Clorox Company for additional information about a refund and other instructions.
They can go to the Liquid Plumr website, or call the company toll-free from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday at 855-490-0705. Anyone who still has the recalled products must prevent their children from getting close to them to avoid any possible injuries.
This recall was quite difficult because there were over five million bottles that were manufactured before March and sold nationwide by May. It is still good that no children were injured so far, and hopefully, this problem will be solved as soon as possible.