Not every father had a happy Father’s Day because another man was recently infected with the flesh-eating bacteria. Adrian Ruiz was traveling to Port Aransas with his family when they decided to take a bath.
Unfortunately, he did not realize that he contacted the virus from the water. A few days after swimming in that water, the man observed a rash on one of his legs and started having headaches.
Therefore, he decided to make an appointment with his doctor. After analyzing the rash and the rest of the symptoms, Ruiz physician diagnosed him with Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that affects humans that enter the contaminated water having wounds or open cuts.
It is also worth mentioning that people might also get sick by eating under-cooked shellfish. As most of other bacteria, the Vibrio vulnificus thrives during summer, when temperatures reach the highest peak. According to the CDC, there was no report that the bacteria would be present in Port Aransas water.
Even Ruiz’s wife, Lashelle Ruiz, confessed that they would have never gotten in the water if they had known about the flesh-eating bacteria. Plus, Lashelle stated that she was scared her husband would lose the infected leg.
According to Dr. Fausto Meza, Seton Vice President of Medical Affairs, Ruiz has not cut on his body, and he appears to be recovering well until now. Hopefully, the treatment will prove to be highly effective in tackling this devastating bacteria.
Fortunately, many volunteers have come up with an initiative to help the family afford the treatment. Therefore, an account was open on YouCaring.com website where everyone can bring their contribution to support the family’s medical expenses.
Plus, Lashelle Ruiz stated that they will also donate money to help other people suffering from this severe health condition. The rash from this type of bacteria transforms in a massive open sore wound that consumes the flesh little by little.
According to the statistics from the Texas Department of State Health Services, 27 cases of Vibrio have been reported in 2016 until now, and 41 percent of these are linked to water contact.
In the worst case, the person suffering from this flesh-eating bacteria needs to have his leg amputated in order to survive. However, experts are doing their best to find a better treatment to deal with this virus without the need of other surgical methods.