According to the Chester County district attorney, two drug counselors working with recovering drug addicts died after overdosing on what authorities believe to be a potent mix of heroin and fentanyl. The two were found at the Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge on Freedom Valey Circle.
The Drug Counselors Were Already Unresponsive When the Ambulance Arrived
On Sunday, around 2:15 PM local time, an ambulance showed up at the Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge responding to a 911 call. Medics found two unconscious individuals in separate bedrooms. Used needles and syringes, bags of cocaine, and Narcan injections were scattered around the two.
The authorities believe the lodge’s residents, all recovering drug addicts, tried to revive the two unresponsive drug counselors with naloxone, or Narcan, a new drug meant to combat the symptoms of an overdose, before medics arrived at the scene. However, their efforts proved to be in vain as the two men were pronounced dead as soon as medics examined them.
Fentanyl Strikes Again
Toxicology tests came back positive for heroin and fentanyl – the new killer on the drug market. Police officers present at the scene found two kinds of drug bags next to the victims, some bore Superman’s logo, while others were distinctively marked with a skull and bones, signaling danger.
Were the counselors not aware of the danger? For two individuals who received extensive training on new street drugs and the high death potential of fentanyl mixes, the drug counselors should have known better than to risk their lives injecting themselves with a mix that came in a bag marked with a skull and bones.
Tom Hogan, the district attorney, declared that law enforcement usually takes extra precaution when handling the drug because it bears an extreme danger of injury and death. The death of the two drug counselors can only reinforce the desperate need of combating the current opioid crisis that is currently taking over the United States.
Image Source: Pixabay