A night in a karaoke club nearly ended in tragedy for a Wakefield man. After consuming 25 energy drinks, the man was rushed to the hospital where the doctors determined that he has a severe brain hemorrhage. Following the event, the man believes that energy drinks are as dangerous and addictive as drugs and should, therefore, be banned.
Energy Drinks Leaves Man Incapable of Speaking
Nick Mitchell, a Wakefield, England resident, has gone on a personal crusade against energy drinks, trying to raise awareness among consumers about the danger they are exposing themselves each time they crack open a cold one.
Mitchell recalls going at a karaoke club and spend the night drinking energy drinks to stay awake for the party. After going home and falling asleep, the 56-year-old man woke up with an excruciating headache and went to the hospital.
Once there, the Wakefield resident was diagnosed with a severe caffeine-induced overdose. However, the man’s CT revealed that he also suffered a severe brain hemorrhage and that he needed surgery in order to survive.
Mitchell was rushed to the OR, where the doctors were able to stop the bleeding. Still, the man was not out of the woods yet, as the surgeons told him that there’s a 50 percent chance that he will suffer another stroke within the next 12 hours.
The man told the reporters that he suffered three strokes in a week’s time and the night spent at the karaoke club left him with a condition called word blindness – the inability to articulate words due to the oxygen supply being cut to the brain.
Following the event, Mitchell took it upon himself to warn others about the dangers of consuming energy beverages. Moreover, he told the reporters that energy drinks are as damaging as drugs and should be banned.
Image source: Flickr